BHA has been a popular chemical exfoliant product in recent years by its ability to reduce oily and fight aging problems; the BHA chemical exfoliation also helps the following skincare steps to be better absorbed into the skin. However, many people still make mistakes when using BHA daily. The article below will help you have more information about how to use BHA Obagi and common mistakes when using this product.
Overview of the Obagi BHA 2% Salicylic Acid
Obagi Medical is an American cosmetic brand founded by dermatologist Zein Obagi. This product specializes in anti-aging and supports to fight against acne with powerful formulas and proven effective ingredients. Obagi Medical company always focuses on investing in the quality of products, focusing on research and clinical trials. Therefore, its products are always trusted by users and trusted by dermatologists.
Beta Hydroxy Acid, also known as Salicylic Acid – BHA is an oil-soluble acid that is found in a lot of acne products, in the form of acne spot treatments, toners, moisturizers, lotions, serums, gels, body or face wash, from drugstore to high-end brands, even sunscreen, the product helps to exfoliate the skin and remove impurities that are considered to be the cause of clogged pores, etc.
How can Salicylic Acid help with skincare?
Salicylic acid is an ingredient commonly found in medications to treat skin conditions such as acne, dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis on the common skin and scalp, keloids, itchiness, and warts, etc.
The salicylic acid products can help reduce breakouts by exfoliating the skin and keeping pores clear. This active ingredient works well on non-inflammatory acne types like blackheads and whiteheads. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent that increases the amount of moisture in the skin and breaks down the substance that holds skin cells together. This makes it easier to shed skin cells. You can use salicylic acid to treat common warts on the skin and feet. This active ingredient helps to slowly peel off warts as well as help remove calluses and scars. However, the salicylic acid product should not be used on the face or moles, birthmarks, hairy warts, or genital/anal warts (a virus causes warts, but salicylic acid does not affect the virus).
The information provided is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist before using the Salicylic Acid product.
Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy packaging
Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy has a cylindrical bottle design, which looks more like a functional food product than a regular toner design. The product, in addition to the outer cap, is equipped with a plastic tap inside. So instead of pouring the product directly onto a cotton pad, place the cotton pad on it and press gently.
The company logo and product name are printed on a sticker with two tones of gray and coral blue on the body of the product. In general, the product’s design is not too eye-catching, but it is quite strong and ensures hygiene when used.
Obagi BHA Ingredients
The main ingredients of BHA Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner include:
- Salicylic Acid 2%: exfoliation, deep cleaning of dirt and sebum in pores, acne treatment, anti-inflammatory, etc.
- Glycerin: moisturizing, smooth skin.
- Benzalkonium Chloride: can kill bacteria and prevent infection.
- Menthol (Menthol): astringent, reducing acne blemishes, and antibacterial.
- SD Alcohol 40-B (Dry Alcohol): Soluble solvent, making the product more stable.
- The product contains fragrance.
Uses of BHA Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner
- Deep cleans sebum, dirt, and dead cells.
- Treat hidden acne and blackheads; reduce the swelling of inflammatory acne nodules.
- Control excess oil, and prevent clogged pores from causing acne to return.
- It helps the skin absorb the nutrients of other skincare steps better.
Does Obagi BHA Salycilic Acid for Acne treatment work?
BHA beta hydroxy acid, also known as Salicylic Acid for skin, works by exfoliating to regenerate skin cells. BHA can remove the inside of the pores, helping to solve the common problem of clogged pores. Therefore, BHA is extremely useful in treating pimples. In addition, BHA can also reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles, help improve skin roughness, and aid in reducing pigmentation disorders of the skin.
How to use Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner correctly?
Here are the steps to use the BHA Obagi safely for skin:
- First, you need to clean your face with a cleanser.
- Apply the product to a cotton pad and gently spread it over the face and neck.
- Gently pat the skin until the product is fully absorbed.
- Continue to the next skincare steps.
- Use 2 times a day.
- The product has a high BHA concentration, 2% Salicylic Acid acne. So if it’s the first time you use BHA toner, you should choose other products with lower concentrations.
- Test the product on a small skin area before using it all over the face. If, after 24 hours, there is no irritation, you can safely use it.
- A stinging sensation is very normal, not irritation. This phenomenon will gradually disappear as your skin gets used to the product.
- Cover up well and use sunscreen.
- Consideration should be given when combining BHA with AHA or retinol. It is best to use it every other day, do not use specific treatment products at the same time.
5 common mistakes you need to avoid when using BHA Obagi
Here are the top 5 mistakes you must avoid when using BHA products.
1) Test before using products containing BHA
You must test the product on a small area, such as at the bottom of the chin, before using BHA toner all over the face, especially for those who have sensitive skin. If your skin is easily irritated, this test is a must to see if you are suitable for that product before using it, especially for acids used in exfoliation. The best place to test is on the part of the face near the ears or below the chin. These areas are similar to all facial skin but are often hidden, so if there is irritation, it will not affect your looking.
You need to follow the instructions on the product. Please wait up to 24 hours. If there is no negative reaction, you can use the product regularly for your whole face; when the acid is active, a burning sensation usually occurs but will subside immediately. No irritation will occur if you choose the right concentration for your face.
2) Do not use sunscreen when using BHA/AHA
Using exfoliants regularly will make your face more sensitive to the sun. You should use chemical exfoliants in the evening to prevent skin weakening and take advantage of the skin’s repair time at night for enhanced effectiveness.
Using sunscreen with the right SPF to protect your face during the day will ensure that your face gets the benefits of BHA/AHA while remaining healthy. Besides, remember to use products that contain antioxidants or repairing products such as Laroche Posay B5 or Avene Cicalfate Repair Cream.
3) Using the wrong acidity for facial skin
Depending on your skin, you should choose the appropriate percentage. Many people think that if choose a higher concentration will give better results, but it can make your face more sensitive than usual. For example, Obagi Exfoderm Forte for oily skin has 6% Glycolic acid and 4% Acid Lactic, which helps to exfoliate and soften skin deeply. Still, it will be more suitable for dry, more sensitive skin. If you choose the wrong concentration, irritation may easily occur, or you will find the effect on the face is not as desired.
4) Using the wrong pH of products containing BHA
Each series of active ingredients can only work best at a certain pH. If the pH of the product is too high 4%, then the BHA can’t work to exfoliate, making your skincare ineffective. Besides, if the pH of the product is too low, it will easily irritate the skin.
5) Follow instructions of the product
Among the skincare product lines, chemical exfoliants are one that you should follow the instruction closely. It is easy to use too much product or apply it to the wrong area of the face the first time. That will easily irritate your skin or even make your face more acne-prone.
The rough dead cells on the skin make it easier to absorb nutrients and make the skin dull and more prone to acne. In intensive treatment, there is a lot of emphasis on exfoliating dead skin cells, and it is easy to use powerful ingredients to do this task. Hopefully, the article on how to use BHA Obagi and five common mistakes to avoid helps you get the necessary information.