BHA and chemical exfoliants have been popular products in skincare routines in recent years. Ability in reducing oily, fighting aging problems, BHA chemical exfoliation also helps the following skincare steps to be better absorbed into the skin. However, many people still make mistakes when using BHA on a daily basis. In the article below, we will share with you how to use BHA Obagi and 5 common mistakes when using this product.
- About the Obagi BHA 2% Salicylic Acid Product
- Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner packaging
- Obagi BHA Ingredients
- Uses of BHA Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner
- Does Obagi BHA Salycilic Acid for Acne treatment work?
- How to use Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner correctly?
- 5 common mistakes you need to avoid when using BHA Obagi
About the Obagi BHA 2% Salicylic Acid Product
Obagi Medical is an American cosmetic brand founded by dermatologist Zein Obagi. It specializes in anti-aging, anti-acne products with powerful formulas and proven effective ingredients. Obagi Medical company always focuses on investing in the quality of products, focusing on research and clinical trials. Therefore, its products are always trusted by users and trusted by dermatologists.
Beta Hydroxy Acid, also known as Salicylic Acid – BHA is an oil-soluble acid that is found in a lot of acne products, in the form of acne spot treatment, toners, moisturizers, lotions, serums, gels, body or face wash, from drugstore to high-end brands, even sunscreen, the product helps to exfoliate the skin and remove impurities that are considered to be the cause of clogged pores…
What is Salicylic Acid for skin?
Salicylic acid is an ingredient commonly found in medications to treat skin conditions such as acne, dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis on the common skin and scalp, keloids, itchiness, and warts…
The salicylic acid products can help reduce breakouts by exfoliating the skin and keeping pores clear. This active ingredient works well on non-inflammatory acne types like blackheads and whiteheads. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent that works by increasing the amount of moisture in the skin and breaking down the substance that holds skin cells together. This makes it easier to shed skin cells. You can use salicylic acid to treat common warts on the skin and feet. This active ingredient helps to slowly peel off warts as well as help remove calluses and scars. However, products with salicylic acid should not be used on the face or on moles, birthmarks, hairy warts, or genital/anal warts. It should be noted that warts are caused by a virus, but salicylic acid does not affect the virus.
The information provided is not a substitute for medical professional advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist before deciding to take a medication.
Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner packaging
Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy has a cylindrical bottle design, which looks more like a functional food product than a regular toner design. The product, in addition to the outer cap, is also equipped with a plastic tap inside. So instead of pouring the product directly onto a cotton pad, simply place the cotton pad on it and press gently.
The company logo and product name are printed on a sticker with 2 tones of gray and coral blue on the body of the product. In general, the design of the product is nothing too eye-catching, but it is quite strong and ensures hygienic when used.
Obagi BHA Ingredients
Main ingredients of BHA Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner include:
- Salicylic Acid 2%: exfoliation, deep cleaning of dirt and sebum in pores, acne treatment, anti-inflammatory, …
- Glycerin: moisturizing, smooth skin.
- Benzalkonium Chloride: has the ability to kill bacteria, prevent infection.
- Menthol (Menthol): astringent, reducing acne blemishes, and antibacterial.
- SD Alcohol 40-B (Dry Alcohol): Soluble solvent, making the product more stable.
- The product contains fragrance.
Uses of BHA Obagi Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner
- Deep cleans sebum, dirt, and dead cells.
- Treat hidden acne, blackheads; reduce the swelling of inflammatory acne nodules.
- Control excess oil, prevent clogged pores causing acne to return.
- Helps the skin absorb the nutrients of other skincare steps better.
Does Obagi BHA Salycilic Acid for Acne treatment work?
BHA beta hydroxy acid, also known as Salicylic Acid for skin, works by exfoliating to regenerate skin cells. BHA can remove the inside of the pores, helping to solve the common problem of clogged pores. Therefore, BHA is extremely useful in treating pimples. In addition, BHA also has the ability to reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles, help improve skin roughness, and aid in the reduction of pigmentation disorders of the skin.
How to use Obagi BHA Clenziderm MD Pore Therapy toner correctly?
Here are the steps to use the BHA Obagi safely for skin:
- First, you need to clean your face with a cleanser.
- Apply the product to a cotton pad and gently spread it over the face and neck.
- Gently pat the skin until the product is fully absorbed.
- Continue to the next skincare steps.
- Use 2 times a day.
- The product has a quite high BHA concentration, 2% Salicylic Acid acne products. So if it’s the first time you use BHA toner, you should choose other products with lower concentrations.
- Test the product on a small area of skin before using it all over the face. If after 24 hours there is no irritation, you can safely use it.
- A stinging sensation is very normal, not irritation. This phenomenon will gradually disappear as your skin gets used to the product.
- Cover up well and use sunscreen.
- Consideration should be given when combining BHA with AHA or retinol. It is best to use it every other day, do not use specific treatment products at the same time.
5 common mistakes you need to avoid when using BHA Obagi
Here are the top 5 mistakes that you need to avoid when using products containing BHA.
1) Test before using products containing BHA
You must test the product on a small area, such as at the bottom of the chin before using BHA toner all over the face, especially for those who have sensitive skin. If your skin is easily irritated, this test is a must to see if you are suitable for that product before using it, especially for acids used in exfoliation. The best place to test is on the part of the face near the ears or below the chin. These areas are similar to all facial skin but are often hidden, so if there is irritation, it will not affect your looking.
You need to follow the instructions on the product. Please wait up to 24 hours and if there is no negative reaction, you can use the product regularly for your whole face, when the acid is active, a burning sensation usually occurs, but will subside immediately. If you choose the right concentration for your face, no irritation will occur.
2) Do not use sunscreen when using BHA/AHA
Using exfoliants regularly will make your face more sensitive to the sun. You should use chemical exfoliants in the evening to prevent skin weakening as well as take advantage of the skin’s repair time at night for enhanced effectiveness.
Using sunscreen with the right SPF to protect your face when going out during the day will ensure that your face gets the benefits of BHA/AHA while remaining healthy. Besides, remember to use products that contain antioxidants or repairing products such as Laroche Posay B5 or Avene Cicalfate Repair Cream.
3) Using the wrong acidity for facial skin
Depending on your skin, you should choose the appropriate percentage. Many people think that if choose a higher concentration will give better results, but it can make your face more sensitive than usual. For example, Obagi Exfoderm Forte for oily skin has 6% Glycolic acid and 4% Acid Lactic, which helps to deeply exfoliate and soften skin, but it will more suitable for dry, more sensitive skin. If you choose the wrong concentration, irritation may easily occur, or you will find the effect on the face is not as desired.
4) Using the wrong pH of products containing BHA
Each series of active ingredients can only work best at a certain pH. If the pH of the product is too high 4%, then the BHA can’t work to exfoliate, making your skincare ineffective. Besides, if the pH of the product is too low, it will easily irritate the skin.
5) Do not follow instructions of the product
Among the skincare product lines, chemical exfoliants are one that you should follow the instruction closely. It is very easy to use too much product or apply it to the wrong area of the face the first time. That will easily irritate your skin or even make your face more acne-prone.
The rough dead cells on the skin make it easier to absorb nutrients and make the skin dull and more prone to acne. If you notice, in intensive treatment, there is a lot of emphasis on exfoliating dead skin cells and it is easy to use powerful ingredients to do this task. Hopefully, the article on how to use BHA Obagi and 5 common mistakes to avoid helps you get the necessary information.