Many products are advertised to help with acne, but a few of them work. Luckily, there is one ingredient that has been proven time and time again to help reduce the appearance of acne: salicylic acid. Have you ever wondered why salicylic acid is an effective acne treatment? Let’s find out in this article.
Why can salicylic acid help to reduce acne?
What is salicylic acid?
Salicylic acid is a natural compound that appears in many fruits and vegetables. It can also be found in plants like willow bark, hazelnut oil, and grapefruit seed extract (GSE). Salicylic acid is an antibacterial agent that dissolves the bonds between cells in the outer layer of your skin, known as the epidermis. This allows other substances to penetrate deeper into your skin, where they can attack bacteria and cause inflammation. Salicylic acid also helps to dry up excess oil on your skin, so it doesn’t get trapped under layers of dead cells or sweat glands.
Salicylic acid, a type of beta hydroxy acid (BHA), can work to exfoliate the top skin layer and helps to unclog pores, reducing acne and acne scars.
>> Read more: What is salicylic acid & its benefits for skin
How can salicylic acid help your acne problems?
Salicylic acid is a natural ingredient that has been used for thousands of years, and it’s been shown to be an effective acne treatment.
Salicylic acid is naturally produced by the skin and helps to keep oil and dead cells from clogging pores. When applied to the skin, salicylic acid exfoliates dead skin cells and stimulates new cell growth. This action helps to reduce acne while also reducing oil and removing blackheads on the surface of your pores. When it penetrates the skin, it works to kill the bacteria associated with acne. This can help prevent future breakouts while clearing existing ones.
While salicylic acid effectively reduces acne symptoms such as blackheads and pimples, it’s not completely clear how much of an effect it has on them—it could be slightly better than nothing! But no matter what you do, if you have acne, then using a product with salicylic acid will make a big difference!
In addition to being natural, salicylic acid is non-irritating and safe for most people, which means you can use it on all parts of your body, including your face. It also doesn’t cause a burning sensation or other skin reactions like benzoyl peroxide.
The effectiveness of salicylic acid varies depending on the severity of your acne; however, if you are struggling with severe acne, it’s best to seek a doctor who can prescribe stronger medications such as benzoyl peroxide or retinoids if this is necessary.
Simple steps help to reduce your acne problems
You may be wondering how salicylic acid acne treatment works. Well, here are some ways it helps your skin!
- First, make sure you wash your face twice a day and exfoliate with a mild cleanser every night.
- Second, use products with salicylic acid. Salicylic acid helps reduce oil production in the skin, giving you clearer, healthier skin.
- Third, check your diet for foods high in sugar or fat and eat more vegetables and fruits.
- Last but not least, try not to stress out too much about this problem!
Salicylic acid acne products to try in 2022
You may be wondering how salicylic acid acne treatment works. Well, here are some products that can help your skin.
1. Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Salicylic Acid
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant contains a 2% concentration of BHA (Salicylic Acid) which is a chemical exfoliant that is oil soluble and can penetrate deep down into the pores to bring out great effects on the skin.
- Removes dead cells and residual impurities, reducing congestion, and bringing clear skin.
- 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant regulates excess sebum, helping to minimize pores.
- Increased natural collagen production supports cell regeneration from deep inside, evens skin tone, and reduces deep wrinkles.
- Provides moisture, leaving smoother and more glowing skin that you will feel the difference right from the first use.
2. CeraVe SA Cleanser – Salicylic Acid Cleanser with Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide & Ceramides
CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser is one product with a concentration of Salicylic Acid (SA) just enough to deep clean and support acne treatment without causing dryness.
- Provides deep, gentle cleansing that helps remove oil and dirt.
- Gently exfoliates, unclogs, and unclogs pores.
- Moisturizes and repairs skin while also blocking out ingredients that can irritate.
- Strengthens the skin’s natural protective barrier, through which the skin will appear brighter and healthier.
- Aids in moisturizing as well as soothing and reducing redness on the skin.
- The product is used for the face, especially for combination, oily or acne-prone skin.
3. Differin Body Scrub with Salicylic Acid Acne Clearing
The best-selling product for body skin care on Amazon with Salicylic Acid is Differin Body Scrub. With an excellent effect on clear acne on your back and chest and prevent future breakouts. The complex of AHA/BHA, glycolic, and salicylic acid ingredients bring the best effect in breaking up clogged pores and reducing post-acne fade.
4. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Face Scrub, 2% Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Medicine
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub granules help clear acne thanks to Salicylic Acid and grapefruit essence. With 100% grapefruit extract and vitamin C, Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub foams to remove blemishes, blackheads, and acne on the face to treat acne, clean and shrink pores. The product can act as a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer.
- Deep impact effectively treats acne
- Control oil, dislodge dirt and sebum located deep inside the pores
- Does not cause skin irritation
5. Neutrogena Stubborn Blackheads Daily Acne Facial Serum with Salicylic, Glycolic, Polyhydroxy & Mandelic Acids
Neutrogena Stubborn Blackheads Daily Acne Facial Serum with Salicylic, Glycolic, Polyhydroxy & Mandelic Acids is the new way to fight blackheads. Apply and leave on to dissolve blackheads, unclog clogged pores and help clear stubborn breakouts in just three days. This product is designed for those with oily, acne-prone skin; this oil-free face serum unclogs clogged pores to help clear up stubborn acne and blackheads.
6. Burt’s Bees Face Salicylic Acid Cream for Acne-prone skin
Burt’s Bees Face Salicylic Acid Cream for Acne-prone skin helps to improve the appearance of acne blemishes, reduces redness, and promotes healthy-looking skin. The main ingredient is salicylic acid from willow bark and witch hazel extract; Burt’s Bees salicylic acid cream for acne helps to reduce and prevent acne breakouts.
7. PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products
PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash is one of the best selling benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products on Amazon.
8. Obagi BHA CLENZIderm M.D. Pore Therapy Salicylic Acid 2% Acne Treatment
Referring to ingredients that can exfoliate and renew your skin, it is impossible to mention the lack of BHA. Because it can clean the skin, exfoliate, regulate sebum and support effective acne treatment. If you are looking for an effective BHA, then Obagi BHA will be the first choice.
>> Read more: Obagi BHA 2% Salicylic Acid Skincare Review
If you have oily skin, you should try using salicylic acid products. These products are available in different forms like creams, gels, and soaps. You can choose any one of them according to your needs! You can also make your homemade face mask with this ingredient.